KHQ - 1922 to Present
Louis Wasmer founded the pioneer radio station KHQ in 1922 in Seattle, as part of a motorcyle shop he owned. He later re-established the station in Spokane in 1925. Although the KHQ calls are no longer used on the AM band, they still exist on TV. The long time frequency of 590 kHz which KHQ used until 1985 is now occupied by KQNT. Click on the links below to see KHQ's interesting place in radio history.
The picture to the left is a view of the KHQ's tower on top of the Davenport Building probably from the 1940's based on the age of the automobiles pictured. KHQ was not using the tower at this time. The KHQ and KGA signs are attached to the Radio Central Building which was being used by those station at that time. Click on the image for a larger view.
- KHQ's Life Before Coming to Spokane
- KHQ's Inaugural Broadcast in Spokane
- KHQ's Radio Tower and Studio in the Davenport Hotel
- KHQ in the Radio Central Building
- KHQ's History Through QSL Cards
Compiled and edited by Bill Harms - updated 1 June 2008